FAQ section 15

15) Officiants

15.1) Who can perform a wedding?

This varies from place to place. In some countries, you must be legally married by the state before you may be married in your church; in the US, you can be married in your church without needing a separate legal wedding. If you don't want to be married in a church, you can get a minister to marry you elsewhere, or you can be married by other people who have legal authority to perform marriages where you live, such as judges or justices of the peace. In the USA, it is usually possible to get one of these people to marry you at the location of your choice. It may also be possible to obtain a marriage certificate that does not need to be signed by an officiant, or for the person who you want to have marry you to get a special license to marry you.

Since this varies so enormously from place to place, it is vital that you discuss these issues with the office that deals with these matters where you live.

You may find that the lowest hassle solution is to be legally married at the courthouse, after which you can have whatever kind of public wedding you want.

15.2) Universal Life Church

Anyone can become a ULC minister. Your state may not allow a ULC minister to perform a wedding, however, because they may require that a minister performing weddings also fulfill some other requirements, such as having a congregation. Be sure to check on this.

Becoming a ULC minister is free, though small donations are appreciated.

Further information is available at the ULC web site:

The contents of this document are copyright 2004 Sonja Kueppers. Do not use without permission.

Last Modified: May 15, 2004