Posting-Frequency: every 2 weeks
Last-modified: May 15, 2004
Written by Sonja Kueppers. Please submit any feedback by clicking on the
Comments link at the bottom of this page. Thank you!
- 0) About this FAQ
- 0.1) Where can I find this FAQ?
- 0.2) What is the basis of the opinions in this FAQ?
- 0.3) Recent Changes
- 0.4) About the soc.couples.wedding WWW page
- 1) soc.couples.wedding
- 1.1) What is soc.couples.wedding?
- 1.2) Why is there a soc.couples.wedding?
- 1.3) Is commercial advertising acceptable in soc.couples.wedding?
- 1.4) What are these abbreviations I keep seeing?
- 2) Recommended Reading
- 2.1) For those who want to save money:
- 2.2) For those interested in writing their own vows/ceremony:
- 2.3) Cultures and Traditions
- 2.4) Etiquette
- 2.5) More on books by Denise & Alan Fields
- 3) Engagement
- 3.1) Does a woman's ring have to be a diamond? Does it have to be expensive?
- 3.2) Should the man pick out the ring by himself, or together with his prospective fiancée?
- 3.3) What about engagement rings for men?
- 3.4) Is it necessary to have a ring in order to propose?
- 3.5) Is a ring necessary at all?
- 4) Attendants
- 4.1) When should I choose my attendants?
- 4.2) Do my attendants have to be of my own gender?
- 4.3) Do I have to choose one attendant to be my honor attendant?
- 4.4) How many attendants do I need?
- 4.5) Is it necessary to have equal numbers of groomsmen and bridesmaids?
- 4.6) What roles can people who are not attendants play?
- 5) Wedding Attire
- 5.1) What are my options for an inexpensive wedding dress?
- 5.2) All of the dresses this season are way too revealing. Where can I find more modest styles?
- 5.3) How should the groom and groomsmen be properly dressed at various times of day?
- 5.4) Should the groom wear something different from the groomsmen?
- 5.5) Do the bridesmaids all have to wear the same dress?
- 6) Wedding Rings
- 6.1) Do I have to wear a wedding ring?
- 6.2) Do wedding bands need to be matching?
- 6.3) Does a wedding band need to be plain?
- 6.4) What metals can the ring be made out of?
- 6.5) If you have both an engagement and a wedding ring, which goes on the outside?
- 6.6) What do I do if the wedding ring I like doesn't work with my engagement ring?
- 7) People Issues
- 7.1) My mother is driving me crazy. She wants to control every aspect of the wedding.
- 7.2) Who should walk me down the aisle, my natural father or my stepfather?
- 7.3) My parents had a messy divorce, and they both say they won't attend the wedding if the other comes. How can I resolve this?
- 8) Invitations
- 8.1) What is the most proper way to have my invitations done?
- 8.2) Is it OK to send invitations to someone "and Guest"?
- 8.3) If I've invited guests and not invited their children, what do I do when they send a response saying their children are coming with them?
- 8.4) I have been invited to a wedding without my fiancé. Can I get my fiancé invited, or do I have to go alone?
- 8.5) What percentage of the people I invite can be expected to come?
- 8.7) Can I use my laser printer to address my invitations?
- 9) Photography and Video
- 9.1) Do I have to hire a professional photographer?
- 9.2) Should I have disposable cameras on the tables?
- 9.3) Should I have a wedding video made?
- 9.4) Should I hire a professional videographer?
- 10) Service Professionals
- 10.1) Do service professionals need to be fed?
- 11) Showers
- 11.1) Who can host a shower?
- 11.2) If the people at work give me a shower, do I have to invite them to the wedding?
- 11.3) Is it OK to include the bride's registry information with the shower invitation?
- 11.4) What are some possible shower themes?
- 11.5) Can I have a co-ed shower?
- 12) The Rehearsal Dinner
- 12.1) What kind of rehearsal dinner is acceptable?
- 12.2) Who is invited to the rehearsal dinner?
- 12.3) Who hosts the rehearsal dinner?
- 13) Gifts (advice for the bride and groom)
- 13.1) Should I register for gifts?
- 13.2) What should I register for?
- 13.3) How will people find out about my registry?
- 13.4) What do I do with gifts received before the wedding?
- 14) Gift-Giving
- 14.1) Am I required to give the bride and groom a wedding present?
- 14.2) Am I required to give a gift at a shower?
- 14.3) Am I required to choose a gift from the couple's registry?
- 14.4) When should I give the couple my wedding gift?
- 15) Officiants
- 15.1) Who can perform a wedding?
- 15.2) Universal Life Church
This document copyright 2004 Sonja Kueppers. Do not use
Last modified: May 15, 2004